"Has...chosen yet?" Enjoy your delicious coffee or Demel's home made hot chocolate alongside our well-known Anna Cake, Strudel and much more. Hand made, baked and decorated with love.
It was in 1786 across the now former Royal & Imperial Hofburgtheatre that confectioner Ludwig Dehne opened his confiserie, which almost instantly flourished into a success story. By the time the confectionery became the Demel that we know and love today in 1856, it had already become a hotspot among aristocrats and Vienna’s bourgeoisie.
Whether it was young Emperor Franz Joseph I., who would write love-letters about the large variety of treats or his Elizabeth, who could not get enough of the famous violet-sorbet – Demel became a pilgrimage site for those with a sweet tooth and kept its status even after the fall of the monarchy. Anna Demel, the first woman to ever receive the title of ‚Councillor of Commerce‘ in 1957, strictly guarded and assured that the old standards and traditions were kept, and so Demel continues to be a portal to monarchic times until today.
After Anna’s death, it was her son-in-law Baron Federico of Berzevicsy-Pallavicini who, with his fascinating window displays and playful designs, shaped Demel’s visual appearance, which – along with numerous ‚Wiener Wekstätten‘-motives, are still preserved and visible on some of Demel's packagings.
As of 2002, the internationally renowned DO & CO group is proud owner of the historical establishment and continues its operations traditionally according to Anna Demel’s wishes.
A typical Viennese Café is far more than a venue where one simply consumes - it is an extension of one's living room.
Confectioner Ludwig Dehne opens his confiserie across the now former Royal and Imperial Hofburgtheatre, quickly developing into a success story. Soon after, the establishment is in charge of the Hofburgtheatre and is appointed to be Royal purveyor.
Heir August Dehne hands over the business to his first journeyman, Christoph Demel. 10 years later, his sons Joseph and Karl take over the now eponymous confiserie, Ch. Demel’s Sons.
Due to the imperial urban refurbishments, the brothers move their premises to the ‘Palais am Kohlmarkt’, for which the most fashionable interior architects of the day, Portois & Fix, were commissioned to decorate the vault. The rooms were predominantly in Rococo style whilst the furnishings were in Regency style.
When Carl Demel dies (Joseph had already passed), his widow, Maria Demel, né Griensteidl, a famous café owner's daughter, led Demel's operations for twenty years. After her death, their son Karl took over, continuing operations together with his sister-in-law, Anna Demel and her sister Hermine Siding. Even the third sister, actress Flora Siding lived in the house on Kohlmarkt with them. Her daughter Klara, who had hailed from an unhappy affair with Hungarian magnet Nikolaus of Szemere, was eventually adopted by Anna Demel and thus, became the - so far - last woman to devote her life to in service of the Demel; traditionally, like so many other women who had contributed to Demel's fate.
After the fall of the Austrian-Hungarian monarchy, Demel appeared to have no concept of time. Anna Demel strictly whatched over Demel's operations, assuring that the old order and practices would be fulfilled - a lord would remain a lord at Demel and the loyalty to the impoverished aristocratic prewar-clientele would remain intact.
Regardless of bans and penalties, Anna Demel refused to the cafés title as K.u.K. Hofzuckerbäckerei. Even after her death in 1956, Anna Demel continues to be referred to as a pioneer, having been the first ever woman to receive the title of "Councillor of Commerce" (1952). Today, guests can enjoy the atmosphere which she made sure to preserve and the delicious cake that was later named after her, the Anna Cake.
After Anna’s death, her adopted daughter, Clara and her husband, Baron Federico of Berzeviczy-Pallavicini take over the family business. It was the highly talented artist Federico v. Berzeviczy-Pallavicini who, with tastefully designed show cases and aesthetic-artificial packaging, set the tone which still prevails at Demel today.
A wacky phase begins at Demel, when Berzeviczy-Pallavicini sells the family business which is soon taken over by enfant terrible Udo Proksch, then known as Serge Kichhofer, who also owned 17 different phone-numbers, 38 military-styled coats and various different birthdates.
Proksch launches ‘Club 45’, which resided on the second floor, and was frequently visited by important politicians and media representatives. 20 years later, Demel is again passed on to new owners, when Proksch is prosecuted for purposely sinking the ship ‘Lucona’.
Demel is acquired by the internationally renowned Austrian event- & catering group, DO & CO, which takes heed to operate the establishment according to its tradition.
Particularly Friedrich Ludwig Berzeviczy (who – after his emigration to Italy in 1938 – took the name Federico von Berzeviczy-Pallacivini) was a substantial and continuous breath of fresh air to the rather conservative establishment across the Viennese Hofburg.
The impoverished scion of Hungarian-Italian nobility had gone to school and studied in Vienna. In the early 1930s distinguished architect Josef Hoffmann (1970-1956), who valued his artistic talent, led Bezevicvzy-Pallavicini to Demel. Upon seeing one of the striving young artist’s many sensational interior designs, Hoffmann declared Berzeviczy to be “the last romantic”. Federico Bezeviczy-Pallavicini commenced with a series of innovative store display designs that had previously been unknown to the Viennese. A 1:1 model of Demel’s store display was situated in his office on the third floor, which he used for rehearsals of upcoming pieces before realizing them in the downstairs’ storefronts.
Up until he sold the confisserie in 1972, Berzeviczy-Pallavicini created spectacular fairy-tale orchestrations using exquisite materials and elaborate designs, for various seasons and festivities. To him, the store displays were the “theatre of the street”, which he arranged for the entertainment of passerbys for whom a visit at Demel deemed unaffordable.
To this day Demel’s seasonal store displays are highly influenced by Berzeviczy-Pallavicini. Particularly successful exhibits are then stored at Demel Museum in the confisserie’s basement, where they are displayed for visitors.
Delightful moments in a historically rich athmosphere. At Demel you can find everything to satisfy your sophisticated taste buds.
DEMEL'S BAKERY - HANDMADE WITH LOVE. Whether coffee or hot chocolate, the famous Doboscake, tempting cream slices, tea biscuits, ring cakes or strudel - all are handmade, baked and decorated with love and made for the perfect visit at this famous confiserie with the fairytale-like flair of former imperial times.
Peek into the open bakery, where the curious visitor can look over the shoulders of our master craftsmen and -women. From dawn 'til dusk, passionate hands are busy stretching paper thin apple strudel pastry, glazing Demel's Sacher cakes and composing grogeous decorations.
DEMEL'S DELICACIES. Wiener Schnitzel (escalope) or sausages with mustard? Fresh bread with Norwegian smoked salmon, Kaiser ham, or smoked duck breast? Within our walls, you will find everything a true Viennese heart dreams of. Next to the traditional Anna Demel cake and Punschkrapfen, we offer both, warm and cold cuisine. Whatever you prefer.
Warm cuisine from 11.30 am - 5.45 pm.
Across the Viennese Kohlmarkt and through the originally kept portal, one arrives at the former "Smoker's salon" as well as the spacious salons on the 1st and 2nd floor.
Demel has always been a hotstop for the aristocracy and bourgeoisie. When seasons changed and the air turned cold, it was practically mandatory for any trendy lady to stop by at Demel and order a hot chocolate.
Just like 200 years ago, guests are accordingly referred to in third person when asked for their wishes. The female staff is lovingly called Demelinerinnen by the Viennese. Today, as back then, the Demelinerinnen are dressed in primarily black uniforms with a dash of white. The cultivated impersonality is considered one of Demel's many trademarks - a combination of discrete politeness with the slightest suggestion of distance, which came to be after the discontinuance of aristocratic titles and can only be found at Demel.
At Demel, one meets up with acquaintances and friends, goes on dates or initiates business affairs. Of course, it is not uncommon to come alone and enjoy a coffee in comfortable solitary, while studying the provided newspapers or watch the hustle on the streets of Vienna's famous Kohlmarkt.
Empress Sisi already loved to indulge in treats from the K.u.K Hozuckerbäckerei - obviously the young empress did not shop at the confectioner on Kohlmarkt herself, but had her beloved candied violets - among others - delivered to the Hofburg (Imperial Palace) by Mr. Demel himself.
The less privileged Demel fan will, however, not be dissapointed within the historic walls of the Demel-Shop, where they can find a selection of diverse products, which have been carefully poured by hand, filled and formed with love for more than 200 years.
Classics such as chocolate cat tongues, candied violets, tea biscuits, as well as numerous confectionery- and nougat mixes in gorgeous decorative boxes, Demelcakes and Demel's Sachertorte can be found at the shop and tempt even those with the smallest sweet tooth.
No time to drop by at our shop at Kohlmarkt 14? Visit our online-shop here!
Demel's reputation is not restricted to coffee and cakes, but extends to their world famous artistic story displays which were originally established by Federico Berzeviczy-Pallavicini and have continued in his style ever since.
The continuous replacement of current displays with new designs, depending on seasons and occassion has become a tradition, if not ceremony.
Those who want more than a peek at the current display and gain insights into the magnificent history of Demel, can descend into the vaults which harbour some of the "best ofs" of display artworks, as well as valuable historic objects originating from the very beginnig of Demel.
Opening hours starting with January 18, 2019: every friday from 10.00 a.m. to 12.00 p.m.
You will be accompanied by two Viennese guides.
Entrance p.p.: € 4,-
Dive into the fabulous world of Demel, the confectioner's art, the history of the Demel family. The house harbours the most exquisite surprises!